Saturday 10 December 2011

My first training run

Today in the freezing cold I ran my first training run of 20km and it was interesting to say the least......
I ran up a lovely muddy "southern bump" (hill) sliding on the chalk and mud to then run on the lovely Ridgeway trying to avoid big puddles and stray dogs trying to un-balance me. I had a few slides, trips and slips on some mud  before getting to grips with the terrain. I kept running and wheezing, as it was so cold, on and on until I got lost and had to use the sat nav in my phone a few times before asking a friendly dog walker for directions. She told me that I wouldn't make it to my destination "as it is far too dark" and she was right as I couldn't see much despite using the torch on my clever phone, which really is not good  when running down a muddy totally unfamiliar trail.....
At least I knew I was running to a village and that Catherine (my wife) would pick me up from my finishing point. This is where it all went wrong as I told her the wrong place and mid conversation my phone just died..... So what to do, well just stop strangers on a dark and cold street in my running gear, obviously, and ask if they had a charger or HTC phone and if I could put my SIM into their phone to call my wife and their response was amazing. They tried everything to help me but it was pointless until we went to the pub and the landlord charged my phone so I could call Catherine to be picked up and she did:-)
Thank you to the lovely people in East Ilsley who helped me sooo much and especially the landlord. However the biggest thank you is to my lovely wife and my kids for supporting me so much and picking me up in the pitch black.....

What a run to start my ultramarathon training and all again tomorrow.....




No comments:

Post a Comment