Saturday 10 December 2011

How it all begins.....

Well blogging is more difficult than I thought where/how do you start?
Explaining the name of my run will do :A Mind Boggling Extreme Run stands for AMBER the girl after which the below charity is named.
I guess I should also brifly talk about myself first so you know who I am and why I do what I do. So my name is Flo, I  am a married father of two and work fulltime as a nurse.Apart from that I occassionally volunteer at our local children hospice and run as often as I can. Running gave me a lot of pleasure before but now I run for a reason as I run to raise awareness for charities. Everytime it has to be more challenging than my last challenge and this challenge is the hardest even I could imagine an ultramarathon distance by ny self no official race no support apart from my brilliant family especially my wife....

AMBER is short for the Amber Phillpott Trust Background and  this is what it is all about:

Amber Phillpott was born on September 5th 2009 as second daughter to James Phillpott and
Fleur Tinson. Initially she appeared to be a normal, happy and very intelligent child but in
October 2010 she suffered a minor stroke which led to admission to the children’s oncology
ward in the John Radcliffe children’s hospital. There she was diagnosed with Acute Myeloid
Leukaemia (AML) which led to chemotherapy treatment. Initially she responded well and
was allowed home for a few days at Christmas with a short remission. By the New Year her
condition had worsened and her only chance was to have a bone marrow transplant. The most
likely source was her elder sister but there was only a 25% chance of a match. Throughout
all of this time her parents were with her, day and night. In February 2011 the John Radcliffe
ran out of treatment options but there was an experimental drug available in Bristol so
she was transferred there together with her parents. The drug treatment did not work and
she developed a leukemic mass in her brain and was given no chance of survival but was
transferred back to Oxford where she died five days later in the arms of her parents.

The Amber Phillpott Trust – www.amberphillpott.com

The Amber Phillpott Trust has been inspired by the tragic death of Amber Rose Phillpott
who died at just 18 months old from Acute Myeloid Leukaemia (AML). It is evident from
the statistics that not enough is known about this rare form of leukaemia and therefore the
Amber Phillpott Trust will focus exclusively on AML. The two main objectives both of equal
importance are listed below.

First, to provide financial assistance to any chosen initiative working:-
a) to develop better treatments for AML
b) to find a cure.
c) in support of AML research.

Second, to raise awareness of AML and The Trust in order to:-
a) develop funding sources
b) identify future initiatives to fund.

The Trust will focus on AML in children as this particular type of leukaemia affects
approximately 80 children a year in the UK with the current survival rate of 1 in 6, compared
with 9 out of 10 for Acute Lymphoblastic Leukaemia (ALL). However, the Trust will also
consider providing financial support to projects working in the area of adult AML due to
similarities with childhood AML.

* Source of statistics http://leukaemialymphomaresearch.org.uk/

These parents are amzing and do so much for charity already and have now set up their own charity (awaiting final confirmation) so I want to help them to achieve their goal to help as many kids and family in need. By raising as much money and awareness as possible so please share my blogs with your fiends as they might benefit from this charity or want to donate.


So that is how it all begun



No comments:

Post a Comment