Tuesday 3 July 2012

My Journey

Sorry for the delayed blog but I had to work a long day on Sunday and was too tired to write it yesterday after a quick but hard ish interval session.
I have not been up to much training last week as I wanted my body to fully recover from my hardest training week the week before and I had to work lots and was busy at home but still I got 1 decent run which lasted just under 30 minutes and covered 4.2m which was good.
I am hoping to train more this week but the main goal for the coming fortnight is to stay fit, healthy and injury free. So I will do what I feel is right as I am not much of a taper sort of guy but I know that it is important that my legs stay loose and I am rested and my mind is fresh.....

The Journey So Far
Last year I heard that James&Fleur were planning to set up a charity in memory of Amber so naturally I decided that I should help them to raise funds and awareness

Virgin London Marathon would have been good but sadly I did not get a place

So between Catherine, my wife, and I we decided that an endurance run like an ultra marathon would be good. We decided on a rough location, route and distance (which as you might know kept changing)
We contacted James and he suggested to do it on YeahBaby day so it is part of their big launch for The Amber Phillpott Trust. I was delighted to be part of such a great local charity event that has the potential to help people in need locally, nationally and now possibly even worldwide.

December
My training started with the amazing support of Catherine, Evie and Fabian. Their support has not stopped since then and all I can say is: THANK YOU SO SO SO SO MUCH!!!!!

Jan&Feb
A lot of miles and hard training and editing the route a bit more and naming the run
A M B E R
     i   o  x  u 
    n   g  t   n
    d   g  r
         l   e
        i   m
        n  e
        g

March
I ran my fastest mile yet in 6:09min and ran my first ever Marathon. Not in race conditions but as a training run but both of these runs were in memory of Ambers 1st anniversary.

April
I ran my first training race for AMBER. It was the Baildon Boundary Way half marathon. I enjoyed running it with two great runners and friends on a lovely sunny day.
My fundraising page was created as well www.virginmoneygiving.com/florianstoermer and started to get donations

May
I ran my first ever ultra marathon race the Pony Express in the New Forest. It was a 30 mile race but I got lost and added at least another 5 miles to it. Mentally my biggest challenge yet.
A lot of prizes started to arrive from companies I had asked for support and more money was donated via www.virginmoneygiving.com/florianstoermer by friends, colleagues, by total strangers and by tweeps who had only heard about this on twitter and have never met me or anyone involved with the charity from as far away as India.
I met some very nice tweeps as well who have and are helping me to raise awareness and funds for The Amber Phillpott Trust

June
I had my first ever video made for this charity challenge. Here it is (now viewable on mobile devices)
 The Video
by my good friend @marktownson
As well as this another Jedijogger, @rellisj, dedicated a very nice blog  to my challenge The Crazy German thank you
I ran my first ever marathon race the Cheltenham Circular Challenge. I was lucky enough to meet some amazing twitter friends there who ran this challenge with me. It was my toughest physical challenge and I smashed it even if I say so myself.
AMBER 14712 has also been mentioned in local magazines and newspapers and a radio interview has been arranged as well.
Team #FloFlt (Flo fighting leukaemia together) has been established as well and consist of my support runners and the most prolific tweeps that help to spread the word.
We broke through the £1000 barrier and got our T-Shirts printed
The Beard has been started as well. Its a challenge for me to grow a beard for 4 weeks and run with it on the 14th in exchange for donations. The thing is that I cannot grow a beard to save my life so it is more like a bit of bum fluff that makes me look ridiculous but its for a good cause. If you would like to fund the beard please mention beard when you donate via www.virginmoneygiving.com/florianstoermer

July
Well its time to sell raffle tickets and really cool wristbands as well as getting the final preparation for the day right....
Preparation for the 14th is going well as Catherine is organising most of it but sadly the sale of raffle tickets and wristbands is not going so well..... so here is a list of some of the prizes that can be won in the raffle and remember the raffle tickets only cost £1 each so please contact me if you would like any. The winners will be contacted via email and/or mobile phone....

 So that is all from me from now I wont input a stats zone just a fundraising update

Online Total today:
Direct donations £330 this week Thank You
That is brilliant as we have reached  £1330 so could you help to raise another £170 in 12 days by donating via www.virginmoneygiving.com/florianstoermer and/or by spreading the word? Come on you know you want to


Thank you for reading my blog please feel free to comment on it and share it with your followers and friends.


If you would like to raise money for  The Amber Phillpott Trust. and other charities supported by   The Yeah Baby Concert and to see me finish my 35 mile long Ultramarathon, then please come to the YeahBaby event in Abingdon Oxfordshire on the 14.07.2012 for a  free day of music, stalls, face painting etc... and/or donate via My Fundraising page





No comments:

Post a Comment