Monday 4 June 2012

My blood, sweat and tears!

my female support crew
Blood
I ran a half marathon on Thursday and 1-2 miles into it I felt a pain on my toe. It did not last long but was sharp. So I did not think anything more of it but when I got home I realised that my toe was bleeding. I acquired a blood blister on my ultra at the beginning of may and it was under my toe nail and decided that it was about time to pop and to take a bit of skin with it.... It was not nice so sadly no pictures.
That is my blood story so now lets go to the next story about my bodily fluids....


Sweat

It is normal to sweat when you exercise and to sweat a little more during interval session especially when it is a little warm like it was Wednesday evening when I did my fastest distance interval session of 4.5miles. I ran my fastest training half marathon on Thursday but it was colder so I only needed 2l to re-hydrate after the run not like Tuesday when I ran my first ever training ultra marathon of 29.35 miles in 4 hours and 45 minutes when the starting temp was 18 degrees in clear sunshine without any wind or shade at all on my run..... On Tuesday I drank in excess of 10L and was still dehydrated, don't ask how I know I just do trust me;-)

my male support crew
Tears
Hmmm I am not sure how to start this....maybe by explaining that I am an emotional person who appreciates the thoughtfulness and kindness of others. When I get surprised with it like I did this week by two different and unconnected parties I am humbled and cannot contain or rationalise my feelings in time to stop me crying. It's like the goose bumps effect....
So what made me cry and rabbit on about it you ask?
On Monday I called ASICS sales line as ASICS UK told me that they cannot sponsor/support me but they provided me with a special discount code so I could buy their products at a very good rate. I chose some things but then realised that it is still too much for me as funds are limited as a self funded runner... After being on the phone with the sales assistant for a considerable time I felt bad to say at the end that I could not purchase these items after all as it was just too much for me right now , despite it being a very good price, so she said to me to stay on the line for a minute. I was wondering what I had done, if I had annoyed them or upset them by wasting their time? I was considering hanging up but then she came back on the line and asked me for my number which I gave her without asking much. She then went on and ask me to call her back on Wednesday but wouldn't be specific why, she just said I cannot promise anything and that was that. So on Wednesday I called back and she explained to me that she had a look around at home and spoke to some other departments and colleagues and she found some things that might be useful to me and that she will look in more detail over the weekend for me. She did not have to do any of this but did just out of the goodness of her heart and even so she has not promised anything it made me very emotional and humbled me that someone who doesn't know me would do this for me and the charity challenge.

Thursday a friend of ours Viv (who was one of the first people to sponsor me) asked me how the fundraising was going and I had to be honest it was not going well at all at that point. Later that evening I received the email notification from virginmoneygiving to say someone had sponsored me. When I checked the website to see who I can thank for their generosity I saw it was Viv again. This was very generous and that alone made me tear upbu t when I read that the money was generated by Viv, her daughter Charlotte and her son Rory giving up their Chinese takeaway I start to yes CRY as it is one thing to donate but another thing to give up something you like and look forward to in order to help someone else. A pure selfless act in my mind and I appreciate that and will use it even more to motivate me on my harder runs when I struggle.

So that was it with me crying. Well no not really as Rory sent me a message the very next day stating that he and his band Daughters Day want to do a gig at their school to raise money for the Amber Phillpott Trust via my virginmoneygiving site. Again such a selfless, kind and thoughtful act by a young man made me yes well CRY again.
I don't mind admitting that these acts of human kindness made me emotional and cry as it is a beautiful thing to witness and to be part of. THANK YOU ALL!


Fundraising news:
www.virginmoneygiving.com/florianstoermer is the web address you can use to donate money towards The Amber Phillpott Trust.I have now all but finished my cooperate fund raising approach so I can concentrate on my training.
All of the gifts  received so far will either be raffled off on the day or entered in a silent auction to help raise funds for The Amber Phillpott Trust, Helen&Douglas House hospice, Oxford children's hospital and Ronald House.
Raffle tickets will be available to purchase soon and I am more than happy to take your orders once I have all the details.

Available prizes at present are:


1 Black Hobgoblin T-Shirt (Marstons)
1 White Pedigre T-Shirt (Marstons)
The Lamb  (£50 voucher)
The Bear inn (voucher for 2 people 2 course meal on a Sunday)
King Alfreds Head(2 bottles of Wine)
Cleggs pharmacy (A spa set)
Creative cookshop (aprons &bandanas for boys and girls and a children chocolate making set)
Headlines (voucher for one hair cut)
Snob & Lock (leather wallet)
Heart to Heart (memory box and scented candles)
Motoquip (car valet pack)
Photogenic (one sitting voucher)
Unami (sauces)
Cutting bar (voucher for one hair cut)
Berghaus Rucksack
Hall&Woodhouse £30 voucher
Kingsmill £5 voucher
Teapot clock
High School Musical dance mate games (times 2)
Segais design hair cut (its gone)
Little cuddly polar bear teddy's
2 Oxford United Tickets
Cushion from "Spring Lark" (its gone)
RC car
Black T-Shirts from Calsberg
Baby food (bowl, spoons, sachets, cuddly toy) from Hipp
Authenticated autographs (Sting, Badly drawn boy, Michael Owen)
Open ended standard return train tickets from FGW x 2
Roly's revived Men's hair cut
Grease Monkeys oil service and valet
4GB USB sticks (only 2 left)
golf balls
Frisbees
If you are interested in a raffle ticket then please email me at florianstoermer@gmail.com.

Online Total today:
£751 direct donations £116 this week Thank You
That is brilliant as we are Over Half Way but I would like to raise another £749 so please help to spread the word and donate what you can every penny helps!

Stats Zone:
Runs: 3
Distance covered this week: 47 miles 
Distance covered last month: 166.1 miles



Thank you for reading my blog please feel free to comment on it and share it with your followers and friends.


If you would like to raise money for  The Amber Phillpott Trust. and other charities supported by   The Yeah Baby Concert and to see me finish my 35 mile long Ultramarathon, then please come to the YeahBaby event in Abingdon Oxfordshire on the 14.07.2012 for a  free day of music, stalls, face painting etc... and/or donate via www.virginmoneygiving.com/florianstoermer

1 comment:

  1. You;re doing an amazing thing!! Keep going!! Will sponsor you soon....nudge me if I forget :) x

    ReplyDelete